Friday, March 8, 2019

Creativity in Silence

Hi Friends.  I thought I'd drop by for a quick hello.  I'm still sick.  This past trip to Disney really did me in.  I've spent a good part of the past week in bed or on the couch.  I'm usually up for a few hours before I have to go back to bed to take a nap.  One day last week, I was up for 4 hours before taking a 4 hour nap.  It was awful.  Thankfully, my awake hours before napping are spreading themselves out farther.

In addition to complete exhaustion, I've had a head cold and sinus thing going on.  And the icing on top of this terrible cake, I have an ear infection and can't hear with my right ear at all.  It's been a week as of Wednesday since I woke up with no hearing.  It's like my ear never popped after we landed back in Maine.  I have that hearing underwater sensation that usually takes only a few hours to clear.  I'm pretty sure that my ears were good when I went to bed last Tuesday after we landed.  Then last Wednesday morning, I woke up sick, congested and couldn't hear.

Photo Source
What's really disconcerting is that I'm supposed to be finished with my medication tomorrow and it hasn't changed.  I'm already planning to take the rest of my Amoxicillin until the bottle is empty but I'll probably only get an extra 2-3 doses.  This situation has me a little rattled.  My ear still hurts every once in a while and I'm afraid that I'm going to have to go back to the doctor to get more medicine.  I don't know.  The only good thing to come out of this is that I've enjoyed having quiet time at the house.  It's been a bit of an emotional week for me anyways.

Monday was an especially rough day.  We had a snow storm Sunday into Monday morning.  When I woke, there was something serene about the fresh snow covering everything in sight.  I was a bit concerned about Eliot commuting to work, but he was ok.  It was also my Papa's birthday and that was weighing heavily at the back of my mind.  He would have been 86 this year.  I still miss him terribly, but I'm glad he is no longer in pain.  And I know he's watching over all of us.

With my sickness and thoughts of Papa piling on top of me, I've decided to allow myself to have a relaxing week filled with reflection and quiet time.  I had grand plans of massive spring cleaning upon our return from Florida, but this is all I can manage right now.  Maybe the mood to clean will suddenly strike me, but today, I'm comfortable with taking some time to relax, rest, recuperate and simply be.  Plus, this quiet time has allowed me to take some time to explore my creative side.

Photo Source
On Monday, I was browsing Pinterest while watching Supergirl when I stumbled across the blog of an art teacher who makes her own art inspired outfits.  I went down the rabbit hole looking at her handmade skirts, dresses, sweaters, bags, hair accessories, jewelry and more.  About 30 minutes later, I resurfaced with a ton of ideas for new outfits and new accessories for the Festival of the Arts next year.  I was so inspired!

On Tuesday, my sewing class started for the spring sesssion.  I love having time set aside to do something fun.  It's also a chance for me to get out and be social.  Being alone at home all the time can get lonely sometimes.  I didn't even sew this week.  I didn't have the supplies and pattern that I needed since I've been sick since our return from Florida.  (I had grand plans to drive up to Portland late last week to get them.)  I enjoyed catching up with the others and watching one of the other girls in class work on a pillow case.  I'm excited to see what new projects this session will bring!

On Wednesday, I had my Resin Geode class.  This is the class I told you about before that I've been counting down to.  Like I said before, I'm so excited about it that I've signed up to take it in two different locations!  I enjoyed myself so much.  We did most of the artwork side this week, ending the night with pouring our resin.  Next week, once the resin has set, we'll go in and add the fine details and the larger stones that need to be glued.  (I forgot to take a picture before I put my project on the shelf, but here's a photo of it sitting there.  I'll take another once it's done.  The other photos are pictures my teacher took while we were all in the process of making our geodes.)

I enjoyed my class so much that yesterday morning, I spent a bit of time researching supplies for resin geodes.  I've already added a bunch of stuff to my Amazon wish list, as well as my Etsy favorites.  I also made a list of things to check out at the local craft store.  I'm hoping to buy a few new supplies with our tax refund money.  I can see myself making a lot of acrylic pours and resin geodes in the future!  It's addicting!

Anyways, I'm hoping I'll get better soon.  This whole not being able to hear correctly is getting old, no matter how much I try to find the good in this situation.  I have a whole new appreciation for people who are hard of hearing.  It's really hard, especially when you're out in public.  In the meantime, I'm just taking everything one day at a time. °o°

No comments:

Post a Comment